Having been swooned by a “Greek Style Pasta” recipe which included some of my favorites, I rushed to my local Trader Joe’s after work to pick up the supplies. Then I hit the pizza crust section and decided to turn it into a pizza dish. You’ll need the following:
1 bag prepared pizza dough (or make your own, I’m not that confident in the kitchen quite yet). (We used TJ’s herb and garlic)
1 container low fat feta cheese
1 jar marinated artichokes
1 can black olives
1 jar sundried tomatoes packed in oil
1/4 red onion, sliced
1.5 c fresh spinach, washed and cooked until wilted (you could also use a package of frozen spinach)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Let the pizza dough sit out in room temperature x 15 minutes. After that time, flour your work surface and work some flour into the dough, rolling it out to the desired size.
3. Caramelize red [...]
I’ve been wanting to attempt a whole roasted chicken for a while now. Having come across a 4.6 lb whole chicken at my local Trader Joe’s for $5.99 seemed like divine intervention. I needed to stop planning to try making a whole roasted chicken, and just do it. I found a recipe that involved oranges which worked out fabulously since citrus is in season right now.
Herb Roasted Chicken with Oranges:
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (4 pound) whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into 1 tablespoon sized pieces
- 2 navel oranges, halved
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pour the chicken broth into a small roasting pan, and set aside.
- Wash and slice the vegetables. Place them sporadically around the roasting pan [...]
‘ello all. figured i’d do a dessert/sweet treat for my first contribution to this lovely blog. i made these cookies after a rough day on the job of managing children’s emotions and impulses. (i’m a counselor). as a means of managing my own emotions (but not my impulses), i decided to make a recipe i found in a magazine while at the gym. enjoy!
Lemon Poppy Seed Cookies
2.5 c white whole-wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c unsalted, softened butter (1 stick)
2/3 c sugar
2 tsp. lemon zest
2 TBSP lemon juice
2 TBSP poppy seeds
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. Beat butter and sugar together. Then beat in egg, lemon zest and juice until fluffy. Beat in flour mixture slowly in batches until blended. Add poppy seeds; stir to combine.
3. Divide [...]